Thursday, November 13, 2008

The View from 90

We all have views, no matter our age, but none view life in quite the manner that we arthritic, wrinkled, hurting truly old men and women, i.e., 75 and above. In a class by ourselves, we are, so why evade or belittle our being here. We have choices: instead of cringing, diminishing, or spending a cosmetic fortune to cover the signs, we are in a perfect space for facing it fearlessly, wrinkle by wrinkle, whilst quietly acknowledging, even affirming our accumulation of years! It’s not fun being old, curtailing activities. But I notice many far younger youngsters struggling equally hard to make a go of it.

The concepts about age in relation to human beings has taken a remarkable turnabout about within the past 30-odd years. When I was in my 40s, everyone, including myself, thought of me as middle aged. Today middle doesn’t begin until 60; old until the late seventies.
When I reached ninety my view definitively altered. Bigger and badder physical problems confronted me, resulting in considerable limitations on my daily routine. Despite those limits I gain nothing by diminishing or belittling them. I have learned the hard way, believe me, to look more inward, accept whatever age I’m in. I recognize the futility of beating myself for being ninety. I am already physically beaten enough as it is. So I cry ashamed upon those who cringe or hide from the old label. I cry ashamed, even though it isn’t fun, even less fun than it was at eighty! I must learn to acknowledge, not compare.

Thus, here in my Ninety Viewing, I try to be defiantly here. More, I challenge those who seek substitute designation such as “senior citizen,” “mature adult,” “fragile elder.” Most of all, I balk when people think they compliment me by protesting: You’re not old, you’re far too young in heart. Young in heart is not a compliment. I am old in heart. Only the old, those of us who have conquered time, suffered life’s despairs can know the exhilaration that consumes us when that despair is turned suddenly into a quiet, inner exhilaration by? by? well, like yesterday when an unexpected V of geese appeared across the evening sky. Ninety sees that V differently from nine, say, thirty-nine, or whatever.

Old is courage, stamina, guts, wisdom, understanding. Old is gentleness, joy, continuity. Old is defiance, acceptance, patience, sensitivity and compassion. And viewed in its proper context, old is beauty of singular radiance, a beauty achieved through the individuality possible only through aging. As Madeleine Engle writes in Two Part Invention, “there is little character in the face of someone who has avoided suffering, shunned risk and rejected life.” It is literally impossible to reach one’s 70s without having experienced risk, known suffering and obviously not rejected life. We’re here, aren’t we!

Sure, old inevitably means some kind of pain or other. There is sadness, loss, fear, helplessness, vulnerability and terrifying loneliness. There are old suicides and old alcoholics, but there are also youngsters sharing these statistics in alarming numbers.

It rankles when fellow old ones hide behind the euphemisms listed above. Bestowing such a tag will not smooth one wrinkle, improve vision, straighten gnarled fingers. Do my grandchildren love me more if they think of me as a Senior Citizen rather than an Old Lady?

By the time we’ve reached our late 60s, we’ve hit an impasse. We’ll not get smarter but we do get wiser. We are the sum of our lifetimes and calling us seniors merely belittles that lifetime. (I was a senior in high school, in college). We’ve made our beds and now lie in them. We can face that impasse with philosophic acceptance. I know each day holds a new experience, maybe not a cheerful one, nevertheless a new one. I accept its positive-negative sides with a tolerant good will impossible for impatient youth to understand because we are wiser.

Philosopher Plato and educator Mortimer Adler span millenniums to declare in unison: not until one is in the sixties can true wisdom and knowledge be attained. Audacious Nineties, me insists that without that knowledge and wisdom our happiness takes on a speciality unattainable to youth, if we are willing to make the effort. I.E., the rainbow friend Bud and I saw last week: I submit that despite his obvious pleasure, my nonagenarian view held a more impassioned grandeur simply because of my many previous rainbow-viewing years, causing it to reverberate with heightened sensitivity.

Without question youth bestrides the world with enviable vigor reveling in its belief that it alone has discovered joy, laughter, passion, celebrating as if exclusive to youth. However, not until they have grown up, find themselves facing the implacable wall of antiquity will they realize there actually are unsuspected enchantments round many a corner exclusive to old age.
I am not alone in these views. We increase in multitudes. We enroll in classes, pursue new careers, volunteer, rally at the ramparts, lunch, go the Flynn, a movie, contented and excited in a way only old crones can be in its supportive comradeship!

I want to initiate a crusade that honors old age, not demeans it with palliative metaphors. I want old to stare unashamedly into the faces of those daring to deflate our dazzling singularity. I want banners -- figurative, at least blazoned across high-and-by-way declaring old for what it is, a condition that raises us to an exclusive class in and of itself, setting us apart, giving us the respect we deserve, admitting the enormity of our blood, sweat and tears. I especially want my peers to acclaim their longevity, majestically acknowledging our elegant stage of life with refreshing (albeit clouded) eyes at our formidable day by day victory of our survival.

I am old in heart and those who have yet to view the world from ninety haven’t a clue about the giddy joy and pulsating passions (and I mean “passions” in every sense of the word) roiling through our aching, ailing bodies. It is precisely because of those bodies that we are so eminently capable of resonating to the muddied miracle that is our life.

I have always cared about my appearance, still care. But I do not hide the old, merely enhance it. True, on wakening I run through the depressing laundry list of ailments but, as an eighty-three chum recently responded to my inquiry about his health, “if I don’t find something hurts when I get up I begin to wonder if I’m still alive.”

I look up at the YES silk screen poster above my bed. It strikes me with resounding impact that I have another dichotomous good/bad day ahead inevitably accompanied by the enervating pain, but also a chance to stroll by the lake, listen to V P R, read, call a distant grand child. And hear this: I've begun a new routine. Upon arising, I go to my mirror to laugh (not at myself, just laugh) Amazing how it does the trick, places a more positive perspective upon that laundry list of ills.

Old furniture, old paintings, trees, dogs, even old baseball cards for heavens sakes, have value. Why shouldn't old men and old women! We must be affirmed. “Attention must be paid,” lifting a line from Arthur Miller’s Death of a Salesman. Attention, consideration, respect. Yet, equally important, we old must take ourselves in hand, convince ourselves of our majesty, our rights to that attention. Once we throw off sodden seriousness we just might transform those around us: Laugh and the world laughs with you. Respect ourselves, others will follow suit. Wear old cheerfully then more cheerfully the world will regard you! Easy? Hell no! But it works!

Ergo: I stamp my feet and pound the table asking you to join me in redefining old. Instead of treating the word as a put down, an apology, what say we redefine it as?...as?...what?
Would you go for Original, Legitimate, Die-hard!

34 comments:

Britt said...

Thank you! You made my day.

Unknown said...

Amen to that!

Unknown said...

bravo!!!!

Zane Perry said...

Your Grandson "PurpleMan" submitted this to Reddit.com

http://www.reddit.com/r/reddit.com/comments/7dcvk/this_is_my_90_year_old_grandmas_blog_shes_amazing/

I enjoyed reading your blog. I hope you continue to write. The only teaching I have had on growing old was a Robert Frost poem I had to read in High School.

AFTER APPLE-PICKING

http://www.ketzle.com/frost/apple.htm

Simon said...

I plan to follow along here with you. I love your point of view, and can't wait to learn more from what you have to say.

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Ma'am, you're inspiring. Thank you.

Tim Harding said...

I'm 29 years old and have always been curious about what it's like to grow older. I've always thought of it as a slow progression of loss...loss of vitality, loss of sharpness of wit, loss of sense of self. Obviously I have gotten it wrong based on your observations. What has surprised you the most about old age? What is your advice on living to someone my age so when and if I reach your age I will be able to not only look back with contentment, but also to look forward to the future?

Unknown said...

Hell of a post. Well done. Let's slay the ridiculous euphemisms for old and age.

AJ said...

Please keep writing!

Markos! said...

Brilliant! What an inspiration and what a new perspective, hopeful and pertinent.

C.S. said...

I'll say what others already have: Thank you and please keep writing!

Jeff Tchang said...

Wow. Great post. I don't usually post on blogs but keep it up!

nnn said...

Refreshing, Inspiring.

boblog said...

Great post. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for paving the way and I, for one, will follow. As one in her 50's - you know, "50 is the former 40" - I am ashamed of my generation. Not for embracing and holding on to vitality, but for wrongly assuming that it is natural to lose it. Give up the Botox and the depression that wrinkles bring on you - live. Just live. And enjoy living - whatever it means and looks like at any age, as this author has so eloquently put it. Thanks to you, ma'am, for making my day!

Swan_writes said...

The person I was closest to as a child was my grandmother. She was a spit fire, still wore little pump heels and drove her car on frequent day-trips right up to the end. If someone had asked me when I was 10 who I thought most beautiful in the world, I would have, without hesitation, said my Gramma Banks. I revere crone-ship, Those who continue to embrace life have a wisening in their aging. Our culture of rapid change vastly under-appreciates the lessons of this, forgetting that we are all lucky to live long enough to learn them. I'm glad your still with us, please keep waking to the morning glory, you are wanted in the world!

J Diamond said...

Thank you for writing! I look forward to reading more.

asshat said...

My own grandmother will be 90 in a few weeks, so your post made me appreciate what her life must be like. She has the same positive approach to life as you do.
Thanks!

Dutch said...

I am 20 years old, and I lost my grandmother when I was 12 (she was my pseudo-mother, she raised me from birth.), you have the same kind of personality as she did. I am so glad to see someone of your experience not showing any signs of slowing down. Your vitality surpasses that of my own, I have the utmost respect for you ma'am. Thank you for helping me realize that life is not so hard, just live and be happy. God bless you ma'am, and please, keep on writing.

crat said...

Best blogpost I've read for a while.

kriddle said...

thanks for writing that...i'm so glad i'm able to share your thoughts. keep it coming. i saw this on reddit.

Unknown said...

2 things

one- this was truly inspiring

two- my grandpa is kinda like this, one day he said that he was old but he could still do great things. so he learned wood working and makes equipment and desks for a disabled children school.

FlapScrap said...

Thanks for a wonderful post. I can hardly wait to see that flock of geese through my own 90-year-old eyes. Please keep writing so I can at least see them through yours.

Anonymous said...

What a great post, thank you! A lot us have quesitions and concerns about growing older, so it's nice to hear from someone who has been there and wants to talk about it.

Welcome to the blogosphere!

ldisme said...

Nice view, oh wise one. It's not so much what age in life one is, but how one views life.

Madame Blueberry said...

As Margery Williams writes in the Velveteen Rabbit, "Generally, by the time you are REAL, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are REAL you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand". So, wise woman, you are REAL indeed and helping us all to understand. Thank you.

(a friend of zak's and gideon's who met your loveliness at the wedding and cried with joy during you speech)

Ben said...

Keep writing, we love it!

satchel said...

You are awesome.

Hypatia's Ghost said...

I'm 27 and look forward to 30. I'm already quite pleased with the wisdom differential from here to 20, and if it really gets that much better... well, there's an awful lot of living to look forward to. Thank you kindly, m'lady.

HawaiianGirl4truth said...

You have to be pretty dang smart to live to your elder years. Think about the countless dangers and obstacles to health out there.

Ageism, is the latest discrimination to get recognition.

Some of the greatest lessons I learned in life have been from the elderly, who honored me with their words of wisdom.
Continue to blog...thank you for allowing us to read your thoughts.

Jim Foster said...

Please keep writing!

Anonymous said...

I AM SO GETTING "ORIGINAL, LEGITIMATE DIEHARD" as my next tattoo!!

thanks for being here.

Unknown said...

Park says

When I was a small child playing marbles I could not understand how the older kids played "for keeps." We little kids always went home with the same marbles we brought to the game. It would just be too heartbreaking to lose my pretiest sphere of colored glass. But when I was a little older I realized that it is more exciting to play "for keeps." Better to lose my marbles than to not risk losing them.

I've lost a lot of marbles, but I have not lost my priceless memories of all who played with me for keeps.

Now that I'm closer to death (74)I understand that love is only possible because we can play for keeps, because we can die. I pity the immortal gods condemned to reruns of the same soap operas because they go home with the same loveless marbles that they feared to risk.

Twice a week I spend an hour in "aquatic therapy" for the exercise I need for Parkinson's Dis-ease. I share the swimming pool with about 20 mostly elderly handicapped. When I stop to watch my partners in time they seem a ripling pond of water lilies... and I feel, yes, like a big frog in a mere universe.

If I can figure out how to do it, I'll make copies of this delightful blog to share with the big kids in the pool. I'll ask the son who sent me the blog. He understands the Internet.

Jonathan said...

I thought about this post when I was reading some words of Pope John Paul II on "Older People and the Gift of Wisdom": "Arriving at an older age is to be considered a privilege: not simply because not everyone has the good fortune to reach this stage in life, but also, and above all, because this period provides real possibilities for better evaluating the past, for knowing and living more deeply the Paschal Mystery, for becoming an example in the Church for the whole People of God."