Monday, January 26, 2009

At Ninety-Two

This is the work of Leah Wood, 92+, my friend since our (alas) defunct Margaret Johnson Writers Group days. A gem, do you not agree. I am honored to have it in my blog.

At Ninety-Two

Plastic lens replaced cataracts,
hearing aid for ear.
I dose my thinning bones
with Miacalcin up my nose,
while Advair assists asthmatic lungs,
Glucosamine arthritic joints.

A nuclear pill burned out
overactive thyroid
which Levothyroxin compensates.
I still have enough working teeth!

Along the way I lost a gall bladder.
Then conveniently, the one operation
deducted an appendix.
My body shrank, too,
so my skin no longer fits.
Most missed, the way I used to walk!
But still, on unassisted legs
that can move to T'ai Chi
My aged brain gropes for words, names. . .

But! No diminishment
of adventure in books, films,
living, learning, and the joy
of special and expanding dears.
Nature, in her wisom
replenishes my soul,
making me ready for whatever's next.

Montpelier, 2008

No comments: